Planning Permission

Home and Domestic Use

Where pods are required for domestic use ancillary to the main dwelling (such as a home office) then planning permission is not required. However, you are advised to seek confirmation from the local planning authority.

Business Use

Unless your business is currently engaged in tourism related activites such as camping and caravaning, planning permission is required for the change of use of land to allow the siting of one or more pods for tourism use.

This requires the submission of a planning application to the Local Planning Authority for determination. Should you require the services of a Planning Consultant we can provide one for you. Wingfield Planning specialise in obtaining planning permission for tourism developments.

Professional Fees

For Wingfield Planning to act as your planning consultant would result in the following fee dependent upon the number of pods to be sited:

  • 1 to 3 Pods = fixed fee of £800
  • 4 to 6 Pods = fixed fee of £1,200
  • Excess of 6 Pods would result in a negotiable fee

Planning Application Fee

To change the use of a parcel of land to tourism would result in a fee payable to the Council of £385.

The Planning Process

Wingfield Planning will act as your agent and guide you through the entire planning process. This will involve the collation and submission of all the necessary information and the monitoring of the planning application through to its determination. With regard to architectural drawings of the pods these will be provided. Please note that you may be required to provide the Council with additional information to enable the application to be processed. In such an event Wingfield Planning can provide you with a number of fee quotations for this to be undertaken. Typically, these can include the following:

  • Site layout to show proposed siting of pods; vehicular access arrangements; and, any other buildings intended for use.
  • If the site to be developed holds any ecological value or contains any trees and hedges the Council could ask for a habitat survey and tree report.

How long does it take?

The statutory time limit for the local authority to decide an application is typically 8 weeks from registration by the authority, unless the application site is larger than one hectare, in which case it will take 13 weeks. If permission is refused, or the decision is not made by the statutory deadline, it is possible to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

Applying for a Site Licence

A licence is required from your local authority if the land is used for caravans (which includes Pods) for human habitation (Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960). You must have planning permission for the caravan site before this licence can be granted and the licence must normally be issued within two months.

In the case of sites with mixed accommodation, including tents, sites are normally licensed as a single site, with tents deemed to be touring units for the purposes of the conditions.

It’s generally a criminal offence to operate a campsite or caravan site without a licence, if one is required. If a licence is in place, it’s likely that regular environmental health inspections will be made to check compliance with the conditions. Gas safety certificates, spacing between units, fire points and other aspects may be inspected, and failure to comply with site licence conditions may lead to prosecution.

How do I apply?

The fee to apply for a licence ranges from zero to £600 or more, depending on your local authority, and there is normally no expiry date unless the site’s planning permission expires. As part of the process you would normally be expected to submit a site plan. If your application is refused, you can appeal to the local magistrates’ court. Detailed information on how to apply for a site licence is provided within the following government website:-

Contact Wingfield Planning Consultancy

Call 01473 670755, email or visit